In April 1891 Jerome Wells arrived in Hood River, Oregon, with his wife and young children and made a homestead atop the east hills of the valley. Unfortunately, the ground was rocky and not ideal for farming, so when land became available below, he settled in the Pine Grove area, purchasing 160 acres a half mile from the school.
In 1920, Jerome's son, Walter Wells, bought 30 of these acres and started a small apple and pear orchard, selling fruit and cider to the local community.
In the 1930s Walter's sons, Gowlan and Bill, joined the partnership. Fruit was then trucked weekly to California and a fresh load of produce was picked up and delivered to stores on the way back. In 1954 Walter's son-in-law, Lorn Magnusen, joined and was instrumental in promoting sales.
In time Gowlan's and Bill's sons, Jim, John, Gary, and Scott, followed in the family footsteps and continued to grow the business. Cold storages with CA (controlled atmosphere) rooms were added, irrigation practices became more efficient, and frost protection methods more environmentally friendly with the addition of frost fans to circulate air.
The fifth generation is now involved, with the addition of Devon and Chris Wells, and the farm has expanded to 500 acres of apples, pears, cherries, peaches, nectarines, and plums. We pack and ship our own fruit under the Viewmont Orchards label and are pleased to share our bounty with you at Pearl's Place Fruit Stand!
The goal has always been to improve and protect the land for generations to come, and we aim to keep that tradition going!